You are the Light of the World Bible Study Outline
13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Jesus said that He was the light of the world. John 8: 12. How are we to be light?
I like the illustration of considering the moon. The moon has no light of its own, but it reflects the sun’s light. We are to be the same.
Rev 21:23 No need of the sun or artificial light in heaven.
Exodus 34:29 – Moses’ face lit from his experience, his encounter with God. Do you exude an inner light from your daily experience and interaction with God?
How are we to ‘shine brighter?’
- Morning devotions. Make spending time with God a priority.
- Choose a verse daily regarding God’s character. Focus and meditate on this verse.
- Practice a life of prayer. Make time to talk with God throughout the day. Ask for His wisdom and guidance in all that you do. Sing praises to Him in song.
- Set aside time for extended prayer and meditation, aside from all distractions. 5.
- Use your time wisely to read good spiritual literature, rather than filling your mind with mindless rot.
We are not to keep our faith a secret. Even though our lives should be silent sermons, it does not mean we are not to speak out, when God leads us, to tell of our faith. It is not hard to work in spiritual concepts in almost all conversations. (Rom 1:16, Mark 4:22)
The goal, when we share of Christ, is to bring glory to God, not ourselves. When we share the wonderful things God does in our lives, it is to bring Him glory. We are to live in such a way as to attract people to God.